Saturday, August 4, 2012

Back from the Dead

Updates on Creatures

My original Wolfing Run contains, according to its World file, 128 Norns, getting up to the 9th Generation. At least 58 of those Norns are in eggs. I estimate that it's got around 48 hours of playtime on there. (not all in one sitting, of course) It takes up 22 MB of space; 3 MB of this is purely Norn genetics.


It also crashes upon opening and could need to be deleted.
I am not sure why this is. It's certainly not the amount of Norns--Docking Station was made 12 years ago, and compared to how some runs can get, 70 Norns is a tidy little world.



I'm diving into the more complicated world of Creatures: genetics! With more knowledge of Creatures genetics, I can learn more about why they do the things they do. Norn mutations vary greatly, and pretty much everything about them can change--they can react in pain from hearing a certain word, develop allergies, become infertile, remain fertile for their entire life (coughcough Betty coughcough), feel rewarded when slapped and punished when tickled when normally it's the other way around, feel more lonely around other Norns, become angered by starch (maybe not but I wouldn't be surprised)--the list is supposedly endless.

I'm going to start with the case of a Norn who has baffled me for some time. You remember Constellation, right? Probably not. Anyway, she is a generation 3 ChiChi/Fimbul Norn. Her problem is this:
No, not the colors. That's just one heck of a pigment mutation.
 She stands around, unmoving, and complains of her intense homesickness. But why? And is there anything else amiss?

Keep in mind that I will likely be very, very off. This is the first time I've tried to pick at a Creature's brain.

--15 minutes later--





I have no idea what I'm doing
I have identified the "Norn home" smell.
Because it's captioned.
She does have three mutations for chemical reactions, and "Norn home" is a chemical. But that's all I got.

Screw this. It's time to draw the ever loving minds out of some stuff. Like ponies. Specifically with props. Like a spatula. PONY CHEF.

No comments:

Post a Comment